If you are beginning to familiarize yourself with the world of electronic commerce and online marketing, it is likely that in some of your searches you have come across the term B2B, or what is the same, Business-to-Business. And no matter how much you think about this term, you can’t understand it. Things get even more complicated if we try to make sense of the word B2B in the online world. If you want to know what it means, which companies have a B2B portal, and what type of online marketing applies to a B2B, read on.
What is a B2B (Business-to-Business)
A B2B is any company that sells to other companies. This definition transferred to the world of online sales, is as simple as imagining an electronic commerce that instead of selling to the final consumer, sells to other companies or freelancers such as the Macro wholesale hypermarket, where in order to buy it is necessary to prove that you are a company or professional. The fact of selling to other companies makes it an online store with certain peculiarities. However, it has great advantages based on the fact that it is another source of income for your company. Remember not putting all your eggs in the same basket? Well, that’s what it’s all about, to continue enhancing your current sources of income and combining them with online sales.
Advantages of a B2B online store
And once you understand the term B2B, you will wonder how a B2B online store can help your company. I would like, first of all, to clarify that it is not simply going to help your company, but that it also has great advantages for your clients. And if your customers are happy, this is reflected in the income statement. Then you will discover that all are advantages:
- Comfort for your client and for you. For your client, it is extremely convenient to have the catalog at any time, from wherever you want and also have the updated catalog. It will also be very comfortable for you because if you currently use a management software in your company connected to your B2B online store, you do not have to re-enter data since the information will be synchronized between your err
- Availability. That your customers place an order will no longer depend on a commercial, since the order can be made at the time they consider most appropriate. In this way, your sales representatives will be able to spend their time on what is really important: generating a customer base, building loyalty to current ones and solving incidents related to commercial aspects.
- Internationalization. From the locality where your company is located, you can sell in all those countries where you choose. You will have to study the profitability of sending your products and / or services and, to sell!
- Personalized website. All customers are not the same, therefore, the online store should not be the same for everyone. Today there are a wide variety of website personalization tools based on, for example, browsing history. This has enormous power when making the purchase decision because it means that the customer is constantly viewing products or categories relevant to him.
- Promotions by type of customer. Continuing with the previous point, if we show you products based on your interest, why not customize promotions? We can create rules to show a certain percentage of discount to a type of customer. The possibilities are endless.
- Online Marketing. If we personalize the website and the promotions, we will also have to personalize the message we use to connect with those clients who are so different from each other.
- From the first minute we launch our website, we can obtain data on everything that happens on it. The data, if we know how to analyze it, we can use it to our advantage to optimize management processes, online marketing strategies, the image of the web and even production.
Examples of Companies that Have B2B
Despite having so many advantages, the data indicates that this potential is not yet being exploited. According to Digital (Spanish Association of the Digital Economy): “57.1% of B2B companies do not sell online, although the percentage has grown by 2.9% in 2017.” However, large companies are betting on the coexistence of several lines of business. Some examples of stores that sell both to the final consumer and to other companies are: El Corte Ingles, Adidas, Nissan or Soledad Tires.
Online marketing in a B2B
The lack of knowledge about the possibilities of B2B online stores, makes companies unable to imagine marketing strategies to sell their products beyond fairs, cold-door customer acquisition or advertisements in magazines of the corresponding sector. These customer acquisition and sales channels are very good, because they are through which your company is growing. However, if you have an online store you can do many more things that will complement these strategies:
- Content Marketing. Through a blog or simply by classifying your customers based on how close or far they are from the purchase.
- Email marketing. Communication of new collections, sales, special promotions, collaborations or presence in the media are some of the most common email campaigns.
- SEO (Search Engine Optimization). Organic search engine positioning is widely used in online stores aimed at the end consumer, but it is also a fundamental strategy in B2B online sales. If you have to describe your products, why not describe them also thinking about positioning in Google?
- SEM (Search Engine Marketing). Paid positioning is also usually a widely used channel in B2C to attract and convert traffic and above all in a faster way than with SEO. This can be fully extrapolated to B2B businesses where we can further refine the target we are targeting.
- Marketplaces. Marketplaces are one more customer who buys from you, why not include them in your B2B online marketing strategy?
If you currently sell to other companies through the physical channel, you should not lose sight of the option of launching a B2B ecommerce and start enjoying the advantages it offers, it will also help you not to concentrate your income in a single sales channel, to diversify and start to digitally transform your company .